Re: [*FSFFU*] Science fiction and historians (was Science Fiction Literature)

From: Edward James (E.F.James@reading.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Dec 05 1997 - 05:02:55 PST

On Thu, 4 Dec 1997, Lesley Hall wrote:

> I get the impression that there are several historians on this list: am I
> right? (count me as one of them.) Any reason why historians in particular
> might like science fiction? Possibly some of the same quality of estrangement
> as good historical fiction?
> Lesley
> Lesley_Hall@classic.msn.com

Kim Stanley Robinson has argued that science fiction is primarily an
historical fiction: writing the imagined history of the future, or,
sometimes, an altered past. _Reading_ science fiction is like being an
actual historian: reconstructing the world in which the action is set from
the clues provided by the text.

Edward James

Dept of History etc etc, U of Reading, UK