Re: [*FSFFU*] Eon (was Nirvana)

From: The Jeli's (utaar@CNNW.NET)
Date: Fri Dec 05 1997 - 14:22:20 PST

>What do you think about this book "Eon" by Greg Bear? i've read it few
>months ago, i think it's interesting because it's hard science book, but
>the first character is a scientific female and also the writer is a male!
>i'm intererested to have female point of view on it.

I read _Eon_ about a year or so ago. I liked it alright, but the science
almost got in the way of the story, for me anyway (my husband really
liked it). A lot of hard science fiction I may not completely understand
the science behind, but I can read it and not get stuck wondering, "How
on earth would that work? What the heck is the author talking about?"
_Eon_ was really hard for me to read when Bear started getting into
the futuristic technology--I just couldn't get my mind around it, and it was
really distracting.

It's been a while since I read the book, but I didn't gain any lasting
impression of Patricia (the female scientist). I hate to say this, but
few of the female scientist characters in books I've read have been
memorable. The only one I really had any empathy for was the
woman from _To Save the Sun_ (and of course wouldn't you know I
can't remember her name).

Cami
utaar@cnnw.net
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Ranch/7115
"What we call human nature in actuality is human habit"