Re: [*FSFFU*] No need to make it personal

From: Thomas Gramstad (thomasg@ifi.uio.no)
Date: Fri Dec 05 1997 - 18:04:49 PST

* Le Anne Fossmeyer
> Gosh, I tried not to offend those who liked the movie. I gave
> everyone the benefit of the doubt by stating that I might I have
> seen a different version of the flick (San Diego, where I live,
> gets to be a test market for everything from movies to new
> fast-food items). I even went out of my way in another posting to
> admit my perception may have been biased by my environment. While
> I insulted the movie (and I wasn't the only one), I tried very
> hard NOT to insult those who found something worthwhile in it.

While movies cannot be insulted, you are the only one who insulted
those who liked Strange Days, by stating that one cannot be
intelligent and like the movie. And now you are saying that it was
not intended as an insult. Well, that's nice, but if you really
want to avoid insulting people, then I suggest that you don't tell
them that they can't be intelligent and like what they do. That's
precisely the kind of statement that any recipient would find
offensive, and more: it also appears to be intended to be offensive.
And the tone and content of the rest of your posting(s) seemed to
embellish such an intent, imparting derogatory stuff like 'we all
laughed of the godawful movie', 'it must be another version' (though
only one version exists) etc. etc.
And that ends my involvement in this sub-thread. Have the last word
if you like.

Thomas Gramstad
thomasg@ifi.uio.no