Re: [*FSFFU*] genres, etc. (+ popular culture, back on-topic)

From: Geoffrey D. Sperl (gamgee@GEOCITIES.COM)
Date: Sat Dec 06 1997 - 11:02:28 PST

Heather MacLean wrote:

> Sorry, didn't mean to be patronizing in the slightest--I just thought
> that
> one of the very components of lower class status was being less
> educated and
> hence, having a lower reading level.

Actually, I think we have to separate class and quality of education. I
come from Detroit, where the vast majority of the public schools are
hard-pressed for funds, and the educational levels of the children show
that fact. However, even in the "rich" suburbs to the north of us, I
see a lack of quality education, leading to a good deal of very
reading-ignorant, upper-class students. The quality of various schools
inside the city (the University of Detroit HS, Renaissance HS, Cass Tech
HS, among others) shows that, while a sizable proportion of their
students are lower-middle class and below, they are still very attuned
to reading. Also (and I can't compare to other large urban areas, so
I'm not sure whether this is unique), we have a good deal of used
bookstores and a fairly strong public library system in the metro area,
so books are available for decent prices, too.

Just my 2 cents... :)

- Geoffrey

--
"Time is an illusion.  Lunchtime doubly so." - Ford Prefect

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Zone/8499