Re: [*FSFFU*] genres, etc. (+ popular culture, back on-topic)

From: Heather MacLean (hmaclean@KENT.EDU)
Date: Sat Dec 06 1997 - 12:07:11 PST

At 06:12 PM 12/6/97 -0000, Joan Haran wrote:

>> is quite likely that the 2% of readers come primarily from middle class &
>> upper class.
>
>This seems to be, IMHO, a sweeping, not to say patronizing assumption

Sorry, didn't mean to be patronizing in the slightest--I just thought that
one of the very components of lower class status was being less educated and
hence, having a lower reading level.
And in general, any statement having to do with class is also, by
definition, going to be a sweeping generalization. Sometimes those are
simply useful for sorting initial parameters to a discussion.

Heather

hmaclean@kent.edu
http://www.personal.kent.edu/~hmaclean