Re: [*FSFFU*] Alternative histories

From: Edward James (E.F.James@READING.AC.UK)
Date: Sun Dec 07 1997 - 02:27:21 PST

On Fri, 5 Dec 1997, Michael Marc Levy wrote:

> Judith Tarr and Susan Schwartz are two more fantasy writers with advanced
> degrees in history. Tarr's PhD is in medieval history. Schwartz's
> degree, I think, is in Byzantine history.
>
> Mike Levy

I am not sure if I missed part of this thread, but just to mention that
Katherine Kurtz (author of the Deryni pseudo-medieval fantasies) has a
graduate degree in medieval history; and Harry Turtledove, writer of
fantasies and science fiction, has a PhD in Byzantine history, and has
translated the Chronicle of Theophanes. There must be more! Well, there's
"John Holm", collaborator with Harry Harrison on several historical
fantasies, and author of some science fiction too, who is really Tom
Shippey, who formerly held Tolkin's Chair of Old English at Leeds
University (UK) and is now a senior professor of medieval English at St
Louis, Missouri. And a well-known critic of science fiction and fantasy
too. I'm a medieval historian too, but since I haven't written fiction, I
don't count...

Edward James