Re: [*FSFFU*] genres, etc. (+ popular culture, back on-topic)

From: silk (silk@PIPCOM.COM)
Date: Sun Dec 07 1997 - 09:25:50 PST

Nina wrote:

>So much for assumptions, they just don't work very well when applied to
human beings.<

And I'll second that completely. In the light of this particular strand, I
just want to add that in addition to teaching SF at my university, I also
teach in the Academic Skills Centre. There's no correlation that I can see
between literacy and class. There is, however, a correlation between
literacy and growing up in a family that loves books. My own family is
largely working class (I'm the only one who has ever been to university,
let alone to graduate school), but my parents, my grandparents, and most of
my other relatives read far more than they watch TV. It may even have
helped that, being relatively poor, we didn't have as much access to
high-tech entertainments as more middle class families did. The library,
after all, is free.

And just to flog this horse a little farther, I'd like to add that one of
the most elegant writers I have ever met was a 70 year old farm hand with a
grade 3 education.

Wendy

Wendy Pearson Email: wpearson@trentu.ca; silk@pipcom.com
Cultural Studies Phone: (705) 745-0637
Trent University
Peterborough Mailing Address: Box 228, Trail College
Ontario K9J 7B8 Trent University, Peterborough, Ont. K9J 7B8