Re: [*FSFFU*] Fairy Tale Princesses -Reply

From: Geoffrey Sperl (gamgee@GEOCITIES.COM)
Date: Fri Dec 12 1997 - 12:26:47 PST

Debra Euler wrote:

> In my recollection, it's an enjoyable but flawed movie. Definitely
> worth a rental, however.

Agreed. I saw it as a rental, so I wasn't too upset. I was also, at
that time, on the run of the mill "teenage-boy-horror-flix-fix" and I
think I rented everything from _The Exorcist_ to _Killer Klowns from
Outer Space_. _In the Company of Wolves_ made it in there somewhere,
and I was gleefully happy with making a blind rental of it...

> My favorite story from "The Bloody Chamber"
> is the Bluebeard tale where the foolish young bride's mother, riding
> astride with her hair unbound , comes to rescue her daughter from her
> gilded prison.

Oh, that sounds good...I'm going to have break down and buy the Carter
one day...

> And just out in video stores is an interesting big-budget new version
> of "Snow White," originally shown on Showtime last summer, with
> Sigourney Weaver as the "evil stepmother" and Sam Neill as the
> father.

I've seen bits and pieces of this on cable, and keep kicking myself for
not keeping my eyes open for it. The title can be a mess - it has
three: "Snow White: A Tale of Terror" (which is the title I keep seeing
on cable), "The Grimm Brothers' Snow White" (supposedly the 'official'
title) and "Snow White in the Black Forest."

Possible spoliers.

I've enjoyed what I've seen, and while I agree that Claudia (Weaver's
character) tries to be nice to Lili (Snow White Lili is the full name),
she does it in a way that attempts to supplant Lili's mother - which is
where, I think, Lili becomes rather obnoxious. Claudia believes that
she has is, completely, queen now, and that makes her think of herself
as Lili's "new" mother.

I agree that Lili overreacts, and probably drives her stepmother
(amongst other things - like that crazy mirror and the stillbirth) to
the brink...now if I can ever see it in its entirety, I'd be a happy
camper.

- Geoffrey

--
Why did the chicken cross the road?