[*FSFFU*] simultaneous readings

From: Robin Reid (Robin_Reid@TAMU-COMMERCE.EDU)
Date: Sun Dec 14 1997 - 16:33:43 PST

I'd like to second Jennifer Krauel's ideas about some shared readings over
time--it seems a nifty way to focus some discussion and get around the lack
of buildup regarding certain writers. Might be some problems generating
lists (I can only suggest things I've read, though most of what I'd suggest
I'd be happy to reread) and structuring it, but that's no reason not to try.

Latching onto some recent discussion a la fairy tales, let me suggest one
possible work for a potential fantasy list: Robin McKinley's _Beauty_ and
her latest "re/vision" of the same tale, _Rose Daughter_. The issue of lack
of mothers in fairy tales may be historically based, but there's some other
interesting stuff going on here as well in terms of feminism.

Robin