Re: [*FSFFU*] Fairy Tale Princesses

From: Catherine Asaro (asaro@SFF.NET)
Date: Sun Dec 14 1997 - 18:35:33 PST

Michael, I will agree that many more women died in childbirth in
previous centuries than now. But that has no real bearing on the
current question. For one thing, mothers had =more= of a presence in
earlier version of many fairy tales. Hollywood wasn't around when most
of these stories came into being. The "dead mother" syndrome is more
prevalent in our modern versions.

Even if we ignore that, the plethora of dead mothers still makes no
sense. Sure, more mothers died then than now. But not ALL of them.

As for the evil stepmother, the point is not that she is a step mother
but that she is usually evil. We have plenty of step-mothers in modern
society too. That doesn't make them inherently bad. Distracted,
perhaps, but not evil. The fathers were certainly distracted too, but
they fare better in stories.