Re: Influence of Sci Fi on Women

From: Qhyrrae Michaelieu (qym@CATS.UCSC.EDU)
Date: Fri Mar 28 1997 - 14:07:33 PST

Hi

I also grew up on Heinlein and other writers that had no positive female
characters. Only gradually did it dawn on me what a misogynist Heinlein
was. His female characters started out as strong women, to be admired
because they were different from most women (Yeah, what a compliment,
Yuck), but usually by the end of the story, these "strong" women ended up
being male objectified fantisies.
I also identified with the male protagonists. I wonder how that affects
one's sense of being a woman, when the positive role models you have are
almost all male. Does it lead to a rejection of the female or a
transcendence of gender?
But now almost all of what I read is written about women characters and
written by women. I see it as the need to redress all the old imbalances
of what was available when I was a kid.

Cheers

Qhyrrae Michaelieu