Re: sf influences, and heinlen

From: Robin Gordon (gordonro@GOV.ON.CA)
Date: Mon Mar 31 1997 - 10:01:02 PST

I just have to start by saying how much I'm enjoying this list. I posted
once earlier, but didn't introduce myself. I'm from Toronto (hi Nalo!
happy to see a local crowd), I'm a lawyer, currently serving injured
workers with compensation problems, an out & proud lesbian, and a long
time science fiction fan (among a host of other identities).

I'm fortunate that my first real introduction to sf was when my older
sister gave me the first Women of Wonder collection, I think I was around
10. I'd read L'Engle but hadn't really thought about sf as a genre. I
loved WOW and began reading other works by the women in it. In particular
I read a lot of Marion Zimmer Bradley at first, and while I see her work
with a more ciritical eye now I still have a very warm place in my heart
for her work. I think my love of science fiction was nurtured by the fact
that I started out reading only works by women. Later I decided I should
broaden my horizons and read some of the much lauded male authors. I
consulted a male friend who was also a big sf fan and he suggested
Heinlein's Friday to me. When I started it I felt violently assaulted
myself at the gang rape scene, and horrified by the female character's
reaction to it. It was years before I would read another sf book written
by a man, and while I've enjoyed some Asimov and other things it's still
rare for me to read works by men.

Looking for good new feminist sf has become itself a pleasure for me, a
treasure hunt I indulge in when I can find time. Some of my favourite
authors include Melissa Scott, Pamela Sargeant, Bradley, Nancy Kress, Joan
Vinge, Vonda McIntyre, and many more.

Robin.

"I view it as something of a nightmare that the sodomites are so brazen."
Bigot Jesse Helms