Influence of Sci Fi on Women

From: Gessika Rovario (Gessika.Rovario@ERISS.COM)
Date: Mon Mar 31 1997 - 09:43:30 PST

Hi all. This is my first post to this list, so feel free to yell at me
if I'm not following the protocol. ;^]

FE> I was already an adult by the time Star Trek appeared. But the
FE>female characters on ST didn't depart too much from the same stereotypes.
FE> Judith

I agree with Judith about Star Trek. Whenever I bring this up, someone
always says "But what about Nichelle Nichols {Uhura}?" Well, she was,
in effect, the telephone operator, and she never questioned any order.
So, while she was conspicuious, I never saw her as strong.

But, I don't think SF {or Fantasy for that matter} in any form had a
derogatory effect on the way I felt about myself as a girl or later, as
a woman. But then, I was raised in the seventies/eighties, so there
were many more strong sci-fi fems out there.

Gessi

gessika.rovario@eriss.com