Re: Influence of Sci Fi on Women

From: Laura Sells (sells@LUNA.CAS.USF.EDU)
Date: Mon Mar 31 1997 - 11:03:29 PST

> always says "But what about Nichelle Nichols {Uhura}?" Well, she was,
> in effect, the telephone operator, and she never questioned any order.
> So, while she was conspicuious, I never saw her as strong.

True, but we should also consider her historical circumstance. When TOS
came on, just her presence was groundbreaking, not to mention the
interracial kiss thing (of course, then we could get into the politics of
oversexualizing women of color). I'm sure you've heard the standard story
of Nichols being talked out of quitting by Martin Luther King because her
very presence -did- make an impact, and then the standard story later of
Mae Jameison (or however you spell it), "the black woman" astronaut, going
into the space program because of Uhuru. There are times when even
visibility alone is radical and progressive.

Cheers,
Laura Sells