Re: Influence of Sci Fi on Women

From: Martha Bartter (MBARTTER@TRUMAN.EDU)
Date: Mon Mar 31 1997 - 10:41:23 PST

At 12:14 3/28/97 -0500, you wrote:
>> Christine Roane's project sounds interesting. She appears to be
>>emphasizing positive influences and this made me wonder if others were
>>negatively influenced by early Sci Fi...I was.
>
>I too grew up on the Heinlein juveniles. When my daughters insisted they
>wouldn't read a story "without a heroine," I looked back over Podkayne of
>Mars and was appalled! I think, though,I avoided too much negative
>influence because my reading also covered Norton fantasies, Ace Doubles,
>and the Swallows and Amazons series--all of which had SOME strong
>women--and when I read Heinline, I was constantly but silently rewriting
>the "hero" part for ME!

Me, too. _Space Cadet_ didn't have any women in it, but I never could
see why not, so I wrote myself in as a candidate. Looking back, I
think the general a-sexuality of juvenile SF helped there. Since none
of the 'men' were really interested in women, the role-reversal aspect
didn't bother me at all. Anything they could do, I could do at least
as well.

Martha Bartter
Truman State University
mbartter@truman.edu