Re: question re: dystopias, reproductive technologies & women

From: Andrea L. Klein (alklein@WESLEYAN.EDU)
Date: Tue Apr 01 1997 - 17:25:05 PST

You might try _Utopian and Science Fiction by Women: Worlds of
Difference_. by Jane L. Donawerth and Carol A. Kolmerten. Syracuse:
Syracuse UP, 1994.

Also, _Dream Revisionaries: Gender and Genre in Women's Utopian Fiction
187-1920_. by Darby Lewes. Tuscaloosa, AL: The U of Alabama Press,
1995.

and a thesis by Dunja M. Mohr. _Female Dystopia_. Marburg, Germany:
s.n., 1994. (Though I found some of her conclusions questionable,
particularly her, I thought, simplistic breakdown of the field into sf as
the modern form of the utopian tradition. Her bib is pretty good,
though, and her documentation is great once she gets into her examples.)

also Rabkin, Eric S., Martin H. Greenberg, & Joseph D. Olander. _No Place
Else: Explorations in Utopian and Dystopian Fiction_. Carbondale, IL:
Southern Illinois UP, 1983.

Good luck,

Andrea Klein