Re: Octavia Butler:_Parable of the Sower_

From: sue hagedorn (hagedors@VT.EDU)
Date: Tue Apr 08 1997 - 05:06:08 PDT

> And I also like how
>she treats race, though I haven't thought it through quite clearly. I
>wonder if anyone has any thoughts on that aspect of Butler's work?

In the Afterword for "Bloodchild" she writes:

        "It amazes me that some people have seen "Bloodchild" as a story of
slavery. It isn't. It's a number of other things, though. On one level,
it's a love story between two very different beings. On another, it's a
coming-of-age story in which a boy must absorb disturbing information and
use it to make a decision that will affect the rest of his life. On a
third level, "Bloodchild" is my pregnant man story."

S. Hagedorn
hagedors@vt.edu