Re: Octavia Butler:_Parable of the Sower_

From: Laura Sells (sells@LUNA.CAS.USF.EDU)
Date: Mon Apr 07 1997 - 18:53:41 PDT

Gosh I loved that book. It was so very Butler. I think the community that
the heroine built is a perfect example of what Haraway calls affinity
groups. Haraway and Butler sometimes seemed attached at the hip. The whole
concept of California as a third world country run by multinational
corporations is so chilling. I was somewhat disappointed in the "seed"
metaphor that Butler used, though; I thought it was a bit underdeveloped
and not as evocative as some of her other themes. I also thought that the
end of the book was sort of flat. But I really liked the consistent theme
she exploits of blurred boundaries b/t self and other. And I also like how
she treats race, though I haven't thought it through quite clearly. I
wonder if anyone has any thoughts on that aspect of Butler's work?

my .02
Laura