Re: Octavia Butler:_Parable of the Sower_

From: Anne V Stuecker (avs5@juno.com)
Date: Tue Apr 08 1997 - 15:03:54 PDT

Thanks, all, for replying to my posting. Here are my thoughts on Laura
Sells' comments:

1) Please tell me more about Haraway's "affinity groups."

2) >I was somewhat disappointed in the "seed"
>metaphor that Butler used, though.

I totally agree. Besides, the use of the word "God" tends to scare me.
It's too loaded.
At one point, Lauren corrects 2 of her group who are arguing about
whether Earthseed's "God" is male or female and Lauren points out that
"Change has no sex," but I feel like that's a cop out on the real issue
of the use of the word "God." I think I will analyze one of the
Earthseed verses for a paper I'm writing, but as a whole I don't think
the verses form a coherent basis for this spirituality.

Anne Stuecker <avs5@juno.com> Washington, DC, USA
Always remember the marketeer's philosophy:

        "If someone won't buy it, no one can have it."