feminism & sf

From: lissa bloomer (ebloomer@MAIL.VT.EDU)
Date: Tue Apr 08 1997 - 15:05:47 PDT

Robin Gordon wrote:

>Happy Monday everyone. I would like to suggest that the tangential
>discussion going on regarding the age old question "can men be
>feminists"is a bottomless pit which threatens to consume this list. Of
>course this is an, at times, interesting and potentially important
>discussion, I'd like to suggest that this isn't really the place for it,
>unless discussed with relation to sf (which is possible). While I can
>only speak for myself I expect other women on this list who are
>politically involved have been through this discussion more times than we
>can count, like myself, and don't necessarily want to run through it again
>here when there are so many interesting issues to discuss with relation to
>the lists theme of sf and feminism. After reading Stone's post I could
>have a lot to say in reaction, but just don't think this is the place.

perhaps you can delete these posts and move onto the issues that you would
like to read about -- because many of us who are new to these ideas would
like to work through our thoughts. this is why i joined the list! i've been
what you would call "politically involved" for the past 15 years... and i
still find the subject of "what is feminism" -- no matter the tangentiality
-- question wonderfully enlightening. i think that if we can't understand
other's concerns and ideas on fem alone, how can we begin to complicate the
issue by bringing sf into the picture? and surely, the realm of fem will
change in the light of sf.

-lissa bloomer

if you're wearing pants, thank my great great great grandmother.

elisabeth bloomer
instructor, english
virginia tech
ebloomer@vt.edu