Re: BEAUTY

From: Nalo Hopkinson (bl213@FREENET.TORONTO.ON.CA)
Date: Tue Apr 08 1997 - 16:53:29 PDT

The Datlow/Windling collections are:
_Snow White, Blood Red_
_Black Thorn, White Rose_
_Ruby Slippers, Golden Tears_

I've really enjoyed these too (though I sometimes wish that the editors
didn't 'out' the original tale at the intro to each story so that I could
guess what the inspiration is. Sometimes it's less than obvious, or it's
a tale I don't know). The series has provided me with revenge on some
tales that just made me bristle, or has re-interpreted them in ways that
are very satisfying. _The Armless Maiden and Other Tales of Childhood's
Survivors_ is a chilling collection, edited solely by Terri Windling.
Windling's essay at the end of it chronicles her own history of being an
abused child, and how she got from there to where she is now. And is it
Jack Zipes who has a book that analyzes folk tales? Title: _Don't Bet on
the Prince._ Hard to resist a title like that!

-nalo

On Tue, 8 Apr 1997, Barbara Harman wrote:

> Though I haven't read Beauty, there are a number of anthologies edited by
> Teri Windling and Ellen Datlow which are also retellings of fairy tales. Most
> are published by Tor Books, which also published a series of novel-length
> books edited by Teri Windling under the rubris "The Fairy Tale Series." One
> of these, "Briar Rose" by Jane Yolen, is a chilling retelling of the Sleeping
> Beauty story set in Poland during the Holocaust. The anthologies are, by and
> large, spectacular, particularly "The Armless Maiden."
>
> Barbara

        "Would you trade your funk for what's behind the third door?"
                                        P-Funk, "Funkentelechy"