Re: Octavia Butler:_Parable of the Sower_

From: Michael Marc Levy (levymm@UWEC.EDU)
Date: Tue Apr 08 1997 - 20:11:00 PDT

On Tue, 8 Apr 1997, Anne V Stuecker wrote:

> sue hagedorn <hagedors@VT.EDU> writes:
>
> >In the Afterword for "Bloodchild" she writes:
> >
> > "It amazes me that some people have seen "Bloodchild" as a
> >story of slavery. It isn't."
>
> Wow, my professor's all wrong (Yes! I love it when that happens.).
>
> I read Bloodchild in an anthology that doesn't have this Afterword. Can
> you tell me where you found it?
>

> Anne Stuecker <avs5@juno.com> Washington, DC, USA

As Nicola Griffith said in an earlier post, more or less, how far can we
trust an author when her statements about a story seem contradicted by
the story itself?

"Bloodchild" is about a human being forced to act as womb/first meal for
an intelligent alien insect, but it's not about slavery? Well maybe not
entirely, but... Actually this image of forced interspecies or
inter-racial procreation occurs over and over again in Butler's work.
It's the basic premis of Xenogenesis after all, which concerns a species
whose primary biological imperative is to interbreed with other species
whether they want to or not. It's also a concern in Kindred, where a
20th century African American woman discovers that she has a white
ancestor, and also plays a role in the Patternmaster series.

Mike Levy