Re: Frankenstein book

From: Michael Marc Levy (levymm@UWEC.EDU)
Date: Thu Apr 10 1997 - 21:06:24 PDT

On Thu, 10 Apr 1997, lissa bloomer wrote:

> dear all:
>
> i'm looking for two books. two books that i've never read.
>
> i'm teaching a class where i'd like to use a comparable book to
> _Frankenstein_ ... i'd like it to be both sci-fi and fem AND not
> extraordinarily difficult (like, say, Le Guin's _Dispossessed_)(*gasp*)...
>

> my theme (or, as we silly english teachers like to call it, "body of
> discourse") is going to be called something along the lines of "Beauty and
> the Beast" -- i think i'm going to use _Beowulf_ together with _Grendel_
>
> the second book i'm looking for is for a class on family... i'd like to,
> again, use a sci-fi fem book that i haven't read before: one that has an
> unusual family... i may be using _Fried Green Tomatoes_ and _Momaday_ and
> _I am One of You Forever_
>
> any ideas?
>
> thanks,
>
> -lissa bloomer

How about Theodore Roszak's Memoirs of Elizabeth Frankenstein, which won
the Tiptree last year, or would that one be too tough? Alternately, how
about Marge Piercy's He, She, and It, which has an obvious Frankenstein
parallel? Amy Thomson's Virtual Girl might also work, though it probably
is out of print. Another possibility is Shariann Lewitt's Memento Mori,
which just came out in trade paperback.

For the family book, I'm very fond of the family in Slonczewski's
Daughter of Elysium, although that's probably too difficult AND out of
print. One very good family sf novel that just came out in trade
paperback is Stephanie Smith's Other Nature. Most of the feminist f & sf
books that I can think of that concentrate on families, specifically
concentrate on bad families--child abuse issues and such--like Susan
Palwick's Flying in Place.

Mike Levy