Re: Reading "errors"

From: Jason Griffin (auction4@GRIFFIN.CO.ZA)
Date: Fri Apr 11 1997 - 21:08:46 PDT

Hope Cascio wrote:

> << People a book is to be enjoyed, have fun. When I read a book buy
> Margerat Weis I don't sit there thinking about why she wrote about
> something. >>
>
> I don't completely agree. I used to just read for pure pleasure and escapism,
> until I came to college and "learned how to interpret what I'm reading." At
> first it felt so artificial, but now I feel like I can get so much more out
> of something. I never could have attempted most poetry, for instance, before
> I learned to interpret, and now I can actually get something from Adrienne
> Rich. So it's a construct, but so's the literature. I can still read
> ocassionally for the escape, but I much prefer to read something I can think
> about later, like while I'm driving or doing the dishes. And I'll reread
> things I've enjoyed to see if there's more to it than the lovely escape.
>
> Hope Cascio

Actually I agree with you but for books that you do study but my main
point was some people read to much into a book which wasn't intended.
I mean with Tepper maybe just doesn't like homosexuality or maybe likes
it. But how can one really read into something that is written that
deeply.....the author will end up laughing at you. I might be wrong but
that's my veiws.
Jay