being new to the list

From: Janet Dowling (Janetdow@aol.com)
Date: Tue Apr 15 1997 - 13:27:19 PDT

I'm just clocking in and saying HI. I feel that as a new person to the list,
it is a bit voyeuristic reading the mail without letting people know that I
am looking in,

I am impressed with what i have read so far, and I'm feeling pretty
challenged at what I ahve read, andf how I have interpreted it. Some stuff i
read a long time ago, and i went off SF for a long time. I'm back into it,
and thus was pleased to see the list. I feel that with the recent lists of
recommended reading, I shall be busy for quite a while doing some reading.

I don't have a background in literature criticism, and mostly I take things
at face value - may be too niavely. I was interested in the stuff about
Aliens as i had understood that the part was originally written for a man,
and that it was only cast as a woman at the last moment when all the scripts
had ben written. This ahs always coloured my watching of the film, and I
didn't allow my self to give it any other interprationas it was really a
"man's" story

And I am still struggling with ideas such as dystropia (what!!). I'll get my
dictionary out and see if I can keep up with you all

Any way, happy reading -

Janet Dowling