Re: being new to the list

From: Nalo Hopkinson (bl213@FREENET.TORONTO.ON.CA)
Date: Tue Apr 15 1997 - 14:12:17 PDT

On Tue, 15 Apr 1997, Janet Dowling wrote:

> I don't have a background in literature criticism

NH: Me neither, although in my job I get to sit in on literary grant
adjudications by writers who do. I'm absorbing some of it by osmosis,
but by no means all. Race you for the dictionary!

-nalo

, and mostly I take things
> at face value - may be too niavely. I was interested in the stuff about
> Aliens as i had understood that the part was originally written for a man,
> and that it was only cast as a woman at the last moment when all the scripts
> had ben written. This ahs always coloured my watching of the film, and I
> didn't allow my self to give it any other interprationas it was really a
> "man's" story
>
> And I am still struggling with ideas such as dystropia (what!!). I'll get my
> dictionary out and see if I can keep up with you all
>
> Any way, happy reading -
>

> Janet Dowling

"Sleeping in shifts, or working in shifts, or if you were so tired you
couldn't sleep you stared at the television and learned a new language.
Whadya say. They learned this. Watched every show. After, feeling
confident they'd gained something, a key to the day..."