Re: critical reading and island breezes

From: Martha Bartter (MBARTTER@TRUMAN.EDU)
Date: Mon Apr 21 1997 - 11:31:22 PDT

At 21:48 4/20/97 -0400, you wrote:
>On Sun, 20 Apr 1997, lissa bloomer wrote:
>
>[snip]

> Yech indeed. It boggles my mind how this could be the case, even if
>only in a societal context. Unfortunately, I see this often enough in my
>own life. I just joined a sci-fi reading group at the local Borders.
>There were three women, me, and the man that worked there that was in
>charge of the group. Note that this was sci-fi in general, not even
>feminist sci-fi. It seemes that one societal imbalance (women in book
>groups) overcame another (men and sci-fi).

I'm teaching Fantasy this semester, rather than SF -- (they rotate on our
calendar) -- and have many, many more male students that female (three to
one, almost). When I teach SF, I'm apt to have as many women as men. The
old stereotypes about SF/F readers do NOT seem to hold here.

> Perhaps that adage should be more like: reading is NOT for boys and math
>is NOT for girls, so feminist sci-fi is for NO traditional people.
>
>-- Joel VanLaven

Martha Bartter
Truman State University