Re: Another gender observation

From: Martha Bartter (MBARTTER@TRUMAN.EDU)
Date: Mon Apr 21 1997 - 11:35:03 PDT

At 22:17 4/20/97 -0400, you wrote:
(snip)
>Back to FEMINISTSF ;-): Does anyone have suggestions for feminist
>"hard sf"? Is that oxymoronic?

Try Lois Bujold's _Falling Free_ (she doesn't write as a "feminist"
but the female concerns certainly do show up here). Bujold always
privileges women, and the jobs that only women can do...which often
ticks off the more feminist feminists, who seem to feel that doing
those jobs are now antifeminist. A problem, I think.

Also, for the non-masculinization...Bujold's character Cordelia,
in _Shards of Honor_ and _Barrayar_ is definitely not "maculine,"
but she definitely gets a so-called "man's job" done as well as
her more female activities.

> How does one separate feminism from
>the masculinization of the female? My wife and I watched the _Alien_
>movies this weekend (following the discussion on this list), and while
>the human society in the movies is more gender-equal than ours, neither
>of us saw either of the first two movies as feminist. We did only watch
>the first two movies. Is the third worth seeing?
>
>Pax,
>-allen
>
>--
> Allen Briggs - end killing - briggs@macbsd.com