Another gender observation

From: Allen Briggs (briggs@PUMA.MACBSD.COM)
Date: Sun Apr 20 1997 - 19:17:17 PDT

> I just joined a sci-fi reading group at the local Borders.
> There were three women, me, and the man that worked there that was in
> charge of the group.

This is straying a bit from the topic, but I feel compelled to point
out that this is not a terribly uneven balance. In fact, it's about
as balanced as an odd number of people (5) can be (without getting
creative, OK? ;-). When I was in my first two years of high school,
I was in the "advanced" english classes--about 15 or 20 students. I
was the only male. That's a tad more unbalanced.

Back to FEMINISTSF ;-): Does anyone have suggestions for feminist
"hard sf"? Is that oxymoronic? How does one separate feminism from
the masculinization of the female? My wife and I watched the _Alien_
movies this weekend (following the discussion on this list), and while
the human society in the movies is more gender-equal than ours, neither
of us saw either of the first two movies as feminist. We did only watch
the first two movies. Is the third worth seeing?

Pax,
-allen

--
              Allen Briggs - end killing - briggs@macbsd.com