Re: what do students read?

From: Nalo Hopkinson (bl213@FREENET.TORONTO.ON.CA)
Date: Mon Apr 21 1997 - 19:54:53 PDT

NH: Someone said Emma Bull's _Bone Dance._ I second that emotion. Don't
want to spoil it for anyone, but you're a good chunk into something that
might be just a good action/intrigue piece before you're smack dab up
against your own gender biases. Sounds like you did a bit of
bait-and-switch with your students by using _Kindred._ I've heard Samuel
Delany say that _China Mountain Zhang_ is the novel that's most popular
with his students. It could, I think, perform a similar function; get
wary readers focussed on the mixed race and disempowered youth issues,
but also get them thinking about societal pressures to conform to one
mode of sexual expression. (Oh, and the cover for the pbk edition of
_Bone Dance_ is most emphatically not one of the babe-in-brass-bra
types.) Kim Stanley Robinson's _Pacific Edge._ I haven't read the rest
of the trilogy, and I don't know what the hell I'm waiting for. I find
his sheer wordcraft enchanting, and for the rest, (pace anyone whose
descriptions might be more accurate than mine) it's an eco-conscious
novel that paints the universe in a drop of water by detailing the
personal and political conflicts amongst the members of a small town
council in a utopic (California? I learned a different geography than
American). Sounds dry, but it's juicy. And, I think, humanist--is that
a word?--in that it speaks to feminism, and looks at ageism and sizeism
too. And, um, _Dune?_ Not claiming that it's feminist, but if only for
the Bene Gesserit witches...could lead to some interesting discussions on
women wielding power.

-nalo