Re: Fwd: Like Water for Chocolate

From: Monica Gaudio (moni@LABYRINTH.NET)
Date: Sun Apr 27 1997 - 19:27:35 PDT

At 09:53 PM 4/27/97 -0400, you wrote:
>isn't it part of that genre called magical realism or something. Lot's of
>South American/Latin writers write in this genre, like Isabelle Allende
>and Borges and Garcia Marquez and such?

I wouldn't call it science fiction. Maybe fantasy. Fantasy is a speculative
fiction that starts with a question. It asks what if and then goes, science
fiction starts with an answer, some scientific fact and speculates on that.

It's the same process just starts in different steps.

I might call Like Water for Chocolate Fantasy, but only in the most general
sense. I would call it a good read tho.

Monica Gaudio