Re: Fallen off the list?

From: Joel VanLaven (jvl@OCSYSTEMS.COM)
Date: Wed May 14 1997 - 10:04:41 PDT

On Wed, 14 May 1997, Anastasia McPherson wrote:

> > Have I fallen off the list or are we just so exhausted from the end of
> > the semester that we're not communicating?
> >
> > Mike Levy
> >

> I think it is that one - too exhausted and I personally and lucky if I
> have something interesting and intelligent to say surrounding my course
> work.
>
> I am reading a sci-fi book that could have been a lot better. Great
> idea - mediocre execution - has anyboyd read Ancient Shores by Jack
> McDevitt? the Van Pelt Library has an Excellent sci-fi section I am
> discovering. I also got the LeGuin and Slow River and Tiptree's
> Brightness Falls from the Air - I wish I was a kid again with an entire
> summer of reading stretching before me in an endless golden haze. Does
> anybody else have lovely memories of reading during the summer?

  Spooky how volatile the level of discussion is on this list huh? I'm
not even a full time student and yet somehow this time period is really
busy. I have project deadlines at work, a sister suddenly
wisdom-toothless :), finals in class, books to read, things to do. Not to
metion getting ready for WisCon (I'm so excited).

  Reading during the summer? I have lovely memories of reading ALL the
time. Those great memories of reading in my bed at 2am on a school
morning trying to hide the light (my elbows were proboably permanently
damaged), of walking through the halls at school reading, of reading on
the school bus, of reading at dinner (my family hated that), of reading
for hours on end during car trips, of finishing a book dehydrated because
I was too engrossed to remember to drink anything. Ahhh, great times.

-- Joel VanLaven