The pause that refreshes / Sherri Tepper

From: Susan Armstrong (anariska@MORTIMER.COM)
Date: Fri May 16 1997 - 00:31:09 PDT

>> Reading during the summer? I have lovely memories of reading
>ALL the time.
>
>Am I the only one who keeps a box of crud novels in the cupboard for
>times like these? The literary equivalent of a box of chocolates...
>
>Farah

Chocolates? One of my moret active stashes is right next to the toilet
paper. ;-)

> For some "reality,"
>I like Sherri S. Tepper for her ability to kick you simultaneously in the
>heart and the head (I read _Beauty_ in one sitting, crying the whole
>time).
>
>Karen

I didn't much care for _Beauty_, and Ms. Tepper's powers of characterization
seemed limited in the novels I've read. But I thought _Grass_ was superb in
its vividly rendered landscapes of the alien world -- deceptively prosaic
and terrifyingly unknowable. Like the Nature of our own world, which is
taken so much for granted.

 And the first pages of _Grass_ are one of the most astonishing opening
scenes I've ever read. I won't say any more. Just try it. (And don't
spoil it by reading reviews ahead of time, or peeking ahead in the book. Go
into it cold.)

_Grass_ did rudely drop me at the end, unsatisfied -- but I take it there's
a sequel? There must be.

-- Susan

Susan Armstrong * Vancouver, Canada * anariska@mortimer.com