Re: Please, help for an Almost Dead White Male?

From: farah mendlesohn (fm7@YORK.AC.UK)
Date: Fri May 23 1997 - 09:38:08 PDT

On Tue, 20 May 1997 13:16:53 -0400 David Silver wrote:
I may be behind on reading the mailings at the moment, but nobody
seems to have stated the obvious about Trouble and Her Friends. It
is a novel about marginality and some of that marginality is sexual. I
liked it because it is a lesbian novel (and one that doesn't waste time
talking about coming out). Tackle this head on, not as a side issue.
BTW, do you include Storm Constantine? Her stuff disturbs me but it
contrasts well with Gibson.

I think the novel will work but my one word of warning is that whilst
my students have struggled with the more difficult sf texts we did this
term, it remains the case that Delany's Time Considered as a Helix
of Semi-Precious Stones, which they really had trouble with,
produced one of the best seminars, whereas Gibson's Johnny
Mnemonic, which they could follow easily, bombed.
Farah
ps. at last, a groups of students who don't think Gibson is great!