Re: Herbet and McCaffrey

From: Allen Briggs (briggs@PUMA.MACBSD.COM)
Date: Wed Jun 04 1997 - 05:28:08 PDT

> upper division writing class in the AMST department. The topic I chose was
> "Women in Science Fiction, Reflection or Prediction?"

Sounds like an interesting topic, although I think you'll find a wide
range--perhaps even within those series.

> My hypothesis at this point is that Herbert's women reflect society and warn
> of taking things to an extreme. Bene Gesserit control their bodies but are
> forbidden to love and Bene Tleilaxu females have no control and are reduced
> to functioning as axotl tanks.

How about some of the others? Irulan or the Fremen women? Or the fact
that we don't see women as rulers except in the Bene Gesserit?

> McCaffrey seems to paint a prediction of strong positive women working within
> the system to succeed and overcome. Leesa, Menolly and Nerlika for example.

Perhaps, although it's very clearly a change that is happening as we
read, and to me at least, it's rather depressing to think that women
will still be fighting the same war on different fronts over and over
again into the future... :-( Although, I should add that I didn't feel
that way while reading the stories, and I think that McCaffery would be
surprised by that observation.

-allen

--
              Allen Briggs - end killing - briggs@macbsd.com