Re: Herbet and McCaffrey

From: Sean Johnston (sean-johnston@UIOWA.EDU)
Date: Wed Jun 04 1997 - 05:46:32 PDT

>My hypothesis at this point is that Herbert's women reflect society and warn
>of taking things to an extreme. Bene Gesserit control their bodies but are
>forbidden to love and Bene Tleilaxu females have no control and are reduced
>to functioning as axotl tanks.
>McCaffrey seems to paint a prediction of strong positive women working within
>the system to succeed and overcome. Leesa, Menolly and Nerlika for example.
>
>Any thoughts pro or con would be appreciated.
>
>Barbara

Barbara,
        I've no idea about McCaffrey, but the B.G. of Dune are portrayed in
an interesting way: as witches. It's interesting because it implies that
the only way a woman can be powerful is to be a witch. Puts a little
different perspective on the reason for the Salem Witch hunt/trial, doesn't
it. Anyway, I don't agree that the B.G. are not permitted to love, but I
would say that their love interests are heavily guided on two levels: 1)
most have a fierce loyalty to the Sisterhood and 2) I suspect that they are
conditioned to be able to grow to love the man they will be with, assuming
they will be with any man.
        As to the Tleilaxu (Bene Tleilax being, as noted in the movie,
"...training planet of the Mentats."), I don't remember anything about
their even being mentioned. Axlotl tanks are just that, tanks full of
nutrients in which clones, essentially, such as Duncan Idaho (in later
books) grow. Please correct me if I'm wrong and show me where.
        I'm very into the Dune series, so feel free to ask me anything
about that, or feel free to ask me to expand on what I've already said.

-Sean