Re: Topics of curiosity (was: yes, list is still here!)

From: DAVID CHRISTENSON (LDQT79A@PRODIGY.COM)
Date: Tue Jun 10 1997 - 20:31:25 PDT

-- [ From: David Christenson * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --

Jill Gillham wrote:

> Honestly, I haven't watched the seri (serieses? what's the plural,
anyways?)
> since they killed off Tasha Yar, and the character I could most
closely relate
> to was Wesley Crusher. (Yeah, I know. I was in high school at the time
) Deanna
> Troi and the female doctors were just never allowed to do anything
interesting,
> in my view.

In my view, they killed off Tasha Yar not in the final episode of the
season, but in the scene where Picard tells her, patronizingly,
"officers are allowed to cry on the bridge." How humiliating. My
recollection is that the Tasha actor quit partly because of such
scripting, and I don't blame her. Unfortunately what remained were even
weaker female roles (filled by decent actors), and the producers saw no
reason to elevate a woman to a more active position.

Then came DS9, apparently conceived originally as sort of a troupe thing
, but the female characters quickly became dominant. So do they go with
this feminist flow? Hell no - they bring in Worf (that's the point where
I stopped watching every episode), they mate Dax with Worf, and they
impregnate Kira, all of which serves to radically tip the testosterone
balance. (I'm oversimplifying, but hey, this is a rant, not an essay.)

Then came Voyager, run by the idiot (that is, very badly written)
character Janeway, who not only makes poor decisions but also spends her
spare time with romance novels...

Well I started this, so here's my last $.02 worth: the Star Trek
universe represents classical liberalism, *not* progressivism, and thus
should be viewed with great suspicion by feminists, IMO.

(BTW, Catwoman is *not* dead!)

--
David Christenson - ldqt79a@prodigy.com

Ray Goulding: "Suppose someone on the radio said, "What are you doing now, in this Atomic Age?'" Bob Elliott: "And you would answer, 'No.'"

"You'll say reality is under no obligation to be interesting. To which I'd reply that reality may disregard the obligation but that we may not. " - Jorge Luis Borges