Re: Topics of curiosity (was: yes, list is still here!)

From: Kelley (Kosmic-Moonflower@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Jun 10 1997 - 21:45:58 PDT

CMUNSON wrote:

> Subject: Re: Topics of curiosity (was: yes, list is still here!)
> Author: Susan Marie Groppi <groppi@HCS.HARVARD.EDU> at Internet
> Date: 6/10/97 1:47 PM
>
> >> - Media: though there's plenty enough Trek talk around, I wouldn't
> >>mind
> >> a good long discussion of Trek feminism (or lack of it), if anybody's
> >> interested.
>
> Susan wrote:
> >Or feminism on Babylon 5... I'm fascinated by the changes we've seen in
> >Delenn, who I've considered something of a role model for feminism on
> >television.
>
> First of all, let me make some recommendations for summer reading. Right now
> I'm reading Le Guin's *Four Ways to Forgiveness* and would heartily
> recommend it. In fact, I wouldn't mind seeing a discussion in this forum.
>
> Some books relevant to this list that I've read and recommend:
>
> Marge Piercy: *He, She and It* and *Woman on the Edge of Time*
> Joan Slonczewski: *Door Into Ocean* (I can't recommend Daughter of Elysium)
>
> I'd also like to see a discussion of feminism on Babylon 5. I run a web site
> on B5 called The Bab5 Zone
> <http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/1672/bab5.html>
>
> I also run a tiny list on Babylon 5 and anarchy. Contact me for more
> details.
>
> So what do people think about Ivanova's character? Compared to Captain
> Janeway or Major Kira?
>
> Chuck0
My first encounter with Ursala LeGuin was the Earthsea Trilogy. I fell
deeply inlove with Sparrowhawk the Sage, and felt compelled to write
LeGuin about the series. She wrote me back, (one of my most prized
possessions!)and told me about the fourth book in the series, Tehanu.
Wow- what a wonderful ending to the series. Neither character was
'magical,' nor powerful in any other way than in human spirit. In the
end it was Tenar's strength that saved Sparrowhawk. I remember how much
I wanted her character to stay with Sparrowhawk during the Tombs of
Atuan, but after reading Tehanu I agree that it was best for her
character to be more realistic. It's true that not all women have to
get married and have children; Goddess knows no woman deserves the life
of drudgery, but to choose that life is something different.