Re: Anita Blake and Strong series women

From: Monica Gaudio (moni@LABYRINTH.NET)
Date: Wed Jun 11 1997 - 18:30:13 PDT

At 08:50 AM 6/11/97 -0700, you wrote:
> Jill Gillham shared:

[Snipped stuff about Anita Blake Novels]

>I like these books a lot as well, although they could be improved if her
>prose would improve. I think she's a great storyteller, but for me, these
>are airplane books, (or light summer reading) where I don't have time to
>count how many times she uses exactly the same pronouns or adjectives to
>describe something.

Oh I do so have to disagree. It's written in first person, and Anita (the
main character) is this hard-boiled tough as nails (and a bunch of other
cliques) chick and I can not feel that the character's prose should be
"flowing." Hamliton writes her books like a 1940's detective novel, but,
with a woman, vampires, and a good amount of sexual tension thrown in. I
adore them.

Yah, they are almost like candy, and you read them voraciously, but, they
stick with you for a long time, and you want to read them again, and get the
newest one.

>Of interest in a similar vein (heh heh) I might suggest Tanya Huff's
>"Blood" books. Just read the first one in Seattle last weekend, and thought
>it was pretty good entertainment.

Yup. The first three books are nifty. The last two are a disappointment. I
just finished her last "Blood" novel, and scuttlebutt from the dealer that I
bought it from says it's her last. I was not impressed and I just did not
like the "feel" of the novel.

I won't go into details and spoil it for the those that are reading it or
plan on reading it. Just, personally, I did not like it.

Monica