Re: The Sparrow

From: Ruth Ann Jones (jonesr@pilot.msu.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 27 1997 - 09:15:24 PDT

Oh, I *loved* this book. Highly, highly recommended, and if you ever have a
chance to hear the author speak, don't miss the opportunity - she is really
delightful. Witty, insightful, extremely interesting. (I heard her twice at
WisCon.) There is also going to be a sequel coming out next year, _Children
of God._

Anne and D.W. were my favorite characters. Emilio was, I thought, just
slightly *too* perfect, *too* selfless, so that while I felt sympathy for
the terrible things that happened to him, he was also so incredibly saintly
that it was hard to feel *with* the character, to think "yes, that could be
me."

Isn't there something in Plato about how reading tragedies induces an
emotional catharsis for the reader (or audience, actually, since he was
talking about drama) but it only works if the hero/ine is not impossibly
heroic, but heroic with human limitations, so that the reader is able to
identify with him/her. It's been a while since I read that - I'll have to
look up the reference.

Ruth Ann