Re: So who is on this list?

From: Hope Cascio (Hcascio@aol.com)
Date: Sat Jul 05 1997 - 10:21:10 PDT

<< I am beginning to wonder what type of people sign up for this
> list...Do we have a lot of professors? College students? Random people?
> Writers? Computer geeks? Et cetera? >>

I'm all of the above, except professor, I guess! I just graduated in May with
a Bachelors in English, and in my last semester I took two women's studies
courses-- what an eye opener! One of my profs (who's on the list, BTW) told
us about this list. I've loved science fiction since (and this is embarassing
to me now!) my best friend in seventh grade turned me on to... <whisper>
Piers Anthony. I read all of the Apprentice Adept books that were out at the
time, found Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine (to which I still
subscribe and devour every month), and through that magazine, slowly, I found
women writers that I began to actively seek out. The brand of sf that I like
best isn't necessarily "hard" or "soft" (we had this discussion, I know) but
is about the human condition. SF, to me, is an exploration of what makes us
human, even when our surroundings, culture, physiology, etc. is vastly
different.

I'm also a mom... I have a son who'll be four in August. I'm divorced, a
lesbian, and a computer geek. I work as a technical writer (althought at my
company they call us "knowledge transfer developers"...reminds me of
"sanitation engineer" for trash collector) and in my spare time read SF,
gay/lesbian and feminist non-fiction, and write poetry, design websites, and
cook.

Hope Cascio