Re: So who is on this list?

From: Bronwen Turner (bturner@NCHECR.UNSW.EDU.AU)
Date: Sun Jul 06 1997 - 19:21:25 PDT

Hi,

I'm another lurker who fits into the 'randon people' category.

I also grew up reading lots of traditional SF but
finding Huxley's *Island* and Piercy's *Women on the Edge of Time*
provoked my interest in utopian fiction. SInce then I have
gobbled up as much feminist SF as I have been able to find. I
finally had the opporunity to combine this passion with study a
couple of years ago when I did a Social Utopias course and the
reading list for the course has kept me busy until quite recently.
I'm eager to add to my reading list from the many suggestions
here although I'm having trouble finding many of the novels.

My friends and colleagues often smile at me in that very patronising
way when I carry on about the importance of utopian fiction as a tool
which allows me to create visions and dreams about the genderless
society in which I would like to live, but then I'm sure you've all
had the same experience.

I was thrilled to find this list a couple on months ago and I eagerly
rush to work in the morning to read my overnight email with my first
... and second cup of coffee.

I'm a medical administrator at a university in Sydney, Australia and
in addition to feminist SF, I love trashy SF films and TV shows; and
film and politcal biographies. My favouriteTV character is Ro
Laren from STNG (don't you just love those Bajorans).

Nice to meet you all.

Bronwen

    I am beginning to wonder
what type of people sign up for this list...Do we have a lot of
professors? College students? Random people? Writers? Computer
geeks? Et cetera?