Re: So who is on this list?

From: Janice E. Dawley (jdawley@TOGETHER.NET)
Date: Sun Jul 06 1997 - 20:34:54 PDT

At 04:08 PM 7/4/97 -0500, Kate Bolin wrote:
>I am beginning to wonder what type of people sign up for this
>list...Do we have a lot of professors? College students? Random people?
>Writers? Computer geeks? Et cetera?

Well... I guess I would fall squarely in the "computer geek" camp. Though
when I graduated from college seven years ago I was decidedly NOT a
computer geek. My degree was in Anthropology, with a minor in English.
Rather than go on to grad school, I decided to get a job -- my BA did not
help much, especially in 1990 at the beginning of a recession. But, several
years later, I work as a computer tech support person.
     I've been reading science fiction for as long as I remember, though I
didn't count myself as a fan of the genre itself until college. I have to
admit that I was obsessed with Anne McCaffrey's Pern books when I was in my
teens; some time during high school that fascination waned. Though I wasn't
aware of the term "feminist science fiction" until a few years ago, I have
always been frustrated by books that portray women in a sexist way
(although it took me a while to see how McCaffrey limited women in her own
work). I remember reading _Podkayne of Mars_ when I was 15 or so and
thinking "no girl I know would act (or think) that way!" Le Guin has been a
favorite writer of mine for several years. I've also picked up quite a few
books in response to mentions on Usenet and at the couple of conventions
I've been to. I'm currently reading _Woman on the Edge of Time_, which is
quite good so far. I recently finished _A Door Into Ocean_, which was
somewhat interesting, though the bad guys were cut out of cardboard, and
the 3rd _Native Tongue_ book, which was patently absurd and very bad. Next
on my list is the rest of Joanna Russ' _Extraordinary People_ ("Souls" was
great!) and her novel _And Chaos Died_.

     -- Janice

-----
Janice E. Dawley.....Burlington, VT
http://homepages.together.net/~jdawley/jedhome.htm
Listening to: Loop Guru, Duniya; Shonen Knife, Brand New Knife
"...the public and the private worlds are inseparably connected;
the tyrannies and servilities of the one are the tyrannies and
servilities of the other." Virginia Woolf, Three Guineas