Re: finding Elisabeth Vonarburg

From: Joel VanLaven (jvl@OCSYSTEMS.COM)
Date: Sun Jul 06 1997 - 22:46:30 PDT

On Sun, 6 Jul 1997, joanna goltzman wrote:

[snip]

> One thing I really liked about _The Maerlande Chronicles_ is that it is
> about a matriarchal society with problems. The society's drawbacks make it
> believable and more interesting, to me, at least, than a "perfect" society
> (utopia). Anyone know of more imperfect matriarchal societies I could read
> about?

  Well, I personally loved _Glory Season_ by David Brin. It is about
a matriarchial society that was bio-engineered to be so. Some feminists
have critisized it / disliked it, (perhaps it was a little too harsh on
the poor matriarchy (especially the anti-male parts). Also, the author
was apparently an obnoxious jerk about not winning the Tiptree award (he
mentioned a "feminist cabal") So, read it with a grain of salt. However,
I think that there is alot to be gotten from it.

-- Joel VanLaven