finding Elisabeth Vonarburg

From: joanna goltzman (jgoltzma@IX.NETCOM.COM)
Date: Sun Jul 06 1997 - 10:29:53 PDT

While we are introducing ourselves . . . I am Joanna Goltzman, a graduate
student studying English at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte. I
am writing my thesis on feminist SF and this list has helped me a lot. I
began my research having read a few feminist SF novels already (Ursula K. Le
Guin's _Left Hand of Darkness_, Octavia Butler's _Kindred_, Margaret
Atwood's _The Handmaid's Tale_, Suzette Haden Elgin's _Native Tongue_) and
have found a lot more books to read from discussions on this list.

Marina Yereshenko wrote: By the way, I was unable to find a book of almost
any author discussed here (except Delany) neither in libraries, nor in
bookstores
here in Oklahoma. I'd appreciate any suggestions on where I can find them
without driving to another state (for example, I'd really like to read
any of books by Elizabeth Vonarberg).

Finding books has been a bit of a problem for me, too. I recently finished
Elisabeth Vonarberg's _The Maerlande Chronicles_ (also published in English
as _In the Mothers' Land_). I had to order it from a Canadian distributer
because it is out of print in the United States. (H.B. Finn & Co. in Bolton,
Ontario 905-951-6600.) Another option is amazon.com, an internet bookstore
(address can be found using Yahoo or another search engine). Amazon lists
_The Maerland Chronicles_ as available, but says the book takes 4 to 6 weeks
to get IF amazon can find it somewhere. H.B. Finn sent me the book in a week.

One thing I really liked about _The Maerlande Chronicles_ is that it is
about a matriarchal society with problems. The society's drawbacks make it
believable and more interesting, to me, at least, than a "perfect" society
(utopia). Anyone know of more imperfect matriarchal societies I could read
about?