Imperfect matriarchal societies

From: Petra Mayerhofer (pm@IER.UNI-STUTTGART.DE)
Date: Wed Jul 09 1997 - 15:02:34 PDT

On 6 Jul 97 , joanna goltzman wrote:
> One thing I really liked about _The Maerlande Chronicles_ is that it
> is about a matriarchal society with problems. The society's
> drawbacks make it believable and more interesting, to me, at least,
> than a "perfect" society (utopia). Anyone know of more imperfect
> matriarchal societies I could read about?

What about 'The Women's Shore' (if that is the English title) by
Pamela Sargent? It plays in a post-catastrophique future in which the
women live in comfortable cities, the men, controlled by the women,
outside. The control goes so far that the men do not even know about
it (they think the women are goddesses). However, the point of the
story is not to show how a women-only society works. Most of the
book plays outside of the cities. I liked the book a lot.

The next try is, of course, 'Ammonite' by Nicola Griffith. I have
read the book several times and love it.

On the 'Who's on the list' thread:

I am a mechanical engineer who works in the field of the
environmental impact assessment of energy systems. Parallelly I try
to finish my Ph.D. thesis (getting a Ph.D. in Germany works
differently from the U.S., one is (more or less) fully employed by
the University and does research projects, no course work)). I also
work unpaid in the Stuttgart rape center. I am nearly 33, German (any
other Germans out there on the list?), heterosexual, a feminist for
some years. My first 'feminist' science fiction was 'The left hand of
darkness', which made a huge impression on me at 16. I rediscovered
feminst science fiction 4 years ago and by now have read a lot of it.
Thanks to Laura Quilter, her homepage helped me a lot in hunting down
the relevant titles in the bookstores and libraries. Somebody else
stated in her introduction, that she has never met a fan of feminist
science fiction in person. The same is (nearly) true for me. I am
really glad that I found this discussion list.

Petra

** Petra Mayerhofer ** pm@ier.uni-stuttgart.de **