Re: What is feminism?

From: Joel VanLaven (jvl@OCSYSTEMS.COM)
Date: Tue Jul 08 1997 - 11:01:47 PDT

On Tue, 8 Jul 1997, Anastasia McPherson wrote:

[snip]
> Actually Sean - it was me, Anastasia who wrote the above snippet it
> was inspired by Elizabeth's observation that opression against women ws
> "subtle" to which I responded yes, and one of the most powerful tools in
> this "subtle" arsenal is the control of women's reproduction by economic
> means, normative social controls (those evil teen mothers, single mothers
> and welfare queens) and by technology.
>
> I would actually like to see these issuesexplored as there has been a
> lot of extrapolative fiction written about these things, but there needs
> to be more.
[snip]

  How about the new male birth control pill? That is so cool. This
thing is real and is in our own time. I have an impression that most sf
about reproduction has centered on different ways to create children
rather than the more "mundane" subjects of birth control, but it seems
to me that the political, economic, and social implications of birth
control are extremely important and relevant. Most sf that mentions
birth control seems to do so only in relation to a "magic patch" or
something that simplifies not only life but the story as well :) Say,
does anyone know of any sf out there that centers on birth control? Or is
it stupid to even be asking?

-- Joel VanLaven