Re: Women writers of color

From: Neil Rest (NeilRest@TEZCAT.COM)
Date: Tue Jul 08 1997 - 13:18:04 PDT

Holly Yasui <hollyy@SPRYNET.COM> wrote:
>I read an interesting book by Linda Nagata, whom I assume is Japanese
>American, called *The Bohr Maker.* It's a cyberpunkish (?? if cyberpunk is
>what I think it is) story set in futuristic Tokyo. Doesn't come close to
>Butler's incredible range of issues and insights (*Kindred* and the
>*Xenogenesis* trilogy really blew me away), but she's the only other
>identifiable woman of color science fiction writer I've come across in my
>very unstructured reading.

I am extremely enthusiastic about _The Bohr Maker_. It may be one of the
very best nanotech novels yet. It is also Linda Nagata's first published
novel, and, IMHO, outstanding for a first novel. (Actually, it's her first
sale -- her first novel was published more recently, and isn't as good, but
I'm going to keep watching for her!)

If I recall from the blurbs, she's Hawaiian. (Hawaii doesn't *have* a
racial majority!)

Neil Rest