Re: Star trek again..was So who is on this list?

From: Laura Wigod (laura@OAKRIDGE.COM)
Date: Wed Jul 09 1997 - 11:21:35 PDT

>I think it also takes
>more strength to cry in public than to bottle it up because, when that's
>done, it's suppressing an emotion.

 Often, when you have a character who's very abrasive, very
>short-tempered, what have you, you have a very insecure person, which is
>what I would see the old Kira as: insecure, defensive (rightfully so) and
>probably uncomfortable with herself. I also, though, see a very passionate
>person and I'm glad that's been kept but not to the extent of making Kira
>narrow-minded.

Well said, Sean! I agree with you - it takes incredible moral strength to
recognize that some of your behaviors aren't working for you and to adjust
yourself accordingly. What a leap it was for Kira to go from tough and
defensive to being able to cry openly. How admirable. And while I agree
that it's more interesting to see a character develop, I think Kira's
transformation wasn't gradual enough for me - that is, I would have liked
to have seen more "slips" on her part. A person just doesn't make 180
degree turns like that.

Laura