Re: Birth Control Books

From: Michael Marc Levy (levymm@UWEC.EDU)
Date: Wed Jul 09 1997 - 21:45:47 PDT

Rather than center on birth control per se, the tendency is to center on
either infertility, The Handmaid's Tale, or mystery-writer P.D. James's
SF novel of a few years back (I forget the name), lack of birth
control, Brunner's Stand on Zanzibar, Harrison's Make Room, Make Room and
numerous others, or on alternate ways of getting pregnant, ie.
Motherlines and other feminist-separatist utopias.

One book in which birth control does play a vital part is The Gate to
Women's Country, in which the women practice it with most of the men so
that they can secretly breed a less violent human raise by only having
babies by the more gentle men who have opted for city life.

It seems to me, although I can't think of the titles off hand, that there
are several novels which simply assume that women learn to control
fertility pretty much by an act of will.

Mike Levy